Saturday, April 11, 2009

The anti-holiday mom


Okay, I admit it. I really don't like holidays all that much now that I have kids. Actually, that is only partially true. I love the actual holiday, but the set up and planning involved is exhausting. I write this one day before Easter. You know, second only to Christmas in rank of importance among children. The Easter bunny, hunting for eggs filled with candy and money, and the dressing up in something a little nicer than usual for church.

Well, their Easter baskets sit unfinished on the floor of my room. A pink one for Alex and a blue one for Carter. I went to HEB to fill said baskets, and $81.00 dollars later, I left with four grocery bags full of goodies for my kiddos. Goodies that I will throw out after four days since I will be the one rummaging through all the "grass" to find that one last Hershey kiss or Reese's Peanut Butter Egg that might have escaped my daughter's attention. It's like that old saying my dad used to harp on all the time when I was a kid, "Why don't you just roll down the window of your car while you are driving and just throw dollar bills out the window." That actually has nothing to do with my loathing of the holiday set-up, but I think it is appropriate when you consider what we as mother's spend on candy, decorations, and basic junk that ends up in the trash each year for every holiday to make sure our children have as good of a time as we did when we were young.

On a very unrelated note, I am finally finished with substitute teaching. It was fun (not really) while it lasted, but now I am on to my full-time gig as a recruiter. I will miss seeing my friend Kelly for lunch everyday, but I will not miss hiding the Germ-X from my students for fear they will start drinking it in an effort to escape the reality of my class!

3 comments:

  1. HA! I can totally relate. It is such a rip off and horrible for me as far as losing my baby weight. That is so funny about the Germ-X

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I miss you at school! I know the kids can be a pain in the butt, but there are always a few that make it worth it. As for lunch... it is rather boring without you there!

    ReplyDelete