Tuesday, March 31, 2009

The Substitute

I have been attending alternative certification classes for teaching since the beginning of February. I started with a mixture of apprehensiveness and excitement. Then I started substitute teaching. All freshman. Do I really need to elaborate how much this has dampened my enthusiasm? Don't get me wrong, I have some good kids, but I also have several kids that come to class on drugs, kids that no matter how many 2nd chances I give continue to do next to nothing while they are here, and basically, my classes are beginning to exhaust all my remaining goodwill.

I also promised myself when I had my daughter that I would not become one of those mothers who enroll their kids in everything under the sun, and be forced to run them from activity to activity everyday of the week. Here is our schedule looks currently:

Monday - Softball 5:30-6:45
Tuesday - Softball Game 6:30-8
Wednesday Gymnastics 4:20-5:30 and Softball 5:30-6:45 Church Choir 6:30-7:00
Thursday - Art 5:30-6:30
Friday - Who knows, but I am guessing softball

Now, most of you are sitting there telling yourself that this is a problem very easily solved. Most of you don't know Alex. She loves art. She loves church choir. She really likes gymnastics. She apparantly now loves softball.
How do you make life more manageable for a 7 YEAR OLD without the ensuing tears and dissapointment at dropping an activity (or two?)

Suggestions? Anybody? Anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment